High-schoolers can expect an exciting adventure that will culminate in a deeper knowledge about the Colorado cavern system. Caving 101: Introduction to Caving is a tour that teaches teens about the wonders beneath their feet, building upon what they have learned in their earlier education in a fun and accessible way.
Learn About the Wonders Beneath Your Feet
An immersive 2-hour underground trek, the Caving 101: Introduction to Caving tour promises both education and excitement for your high school group:
- Explore undeveloped sections of the Manitou Grand Caverns Climb and crawl through passageways by headlamp.
- Knowledgeable guides provide groups with 2 hours of adventure underground!
- All participants must bring a headlamp, a pair of gloves, a change of clothes, and extra pair of shoes. Please also wear clothing you won’t mind getting dirty and possibly ruined by the mud. An area will be provided to change and clean up after your tour.
- The cave is 54 degrees year round with possibly humid areas so students will need to dress with this in mind.
Make your field trip to Cave of the Winds more educational and more memorable when you add-on our special activities to keep your students busy and learning!
- Gemstone Panning (Available Weather Permitting): Just like miners used to pan for gold during the gold rush, your students will pan for their very own gemstone collection at our Sluice. Everyone is guaranteed to find some! Each student will receive a souvenir bag to take their collection home in.
- Magic Lantern Virtual Reality Theatre: Your students can experience virtual reality where up to 12 people are strapped into a roller coaster type car and given headsets. They will then be sent on one various trips like a roller coaster flying through space, caves, and more.
- Outdoor Activities (Available Weather Permitting): For a fantastic team building class activity, your students can test their endurance on the Wind Walker Challenge Course and fly like a bat on the Bat-a-Pult Zip Line. (All participants must be at least 48″ tall, weigh less than 300 lbs, and securely fit the harness to ride.)
March–May & September–October:
- Students: $25.00 (tour only)
- Chaperone: $25.00 (tour only)
- Gemstone Panning: $3.00 per student
- Magic Lantern Virtual Reality Theatre: $3.00 per student
- Gemstone Panning & Magic Lantern Virtual Reality Theatre: $5.00 per student
- Outdoor Activities: $10.00 per student
- Please note: Groups of fewer than 15 will pay a flat fee of $375.00 (tour only)
- One teacher or chaperone free with every 15 paid students (tour only)
- Participants: must be 9th – 12th graders
- Length: Tour is approximately 2 hours long
- Students: $20.00
- Chaperone: $20.00
- Please note: Groups of fewer than 15 will pay a flat fee of $300.00 (tour only)
- Availability: This tour is available daily and can accommodate a maximum of 40 participants
- Outdoor Activities: Gemstone Panning, Magic Lantern Virtual Reality Theatre, Bat-a-Pult, and the Wind Walker